Re: [stella] does the processor stop during VSYNC?

Subject: Re: [stella] does the processor stop during VSYNC?
From: bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 13:36:49 -0400 (EDT)
> When you do a VSYNC, does the processor wait until it's really time for
> the next frame to begin before processing resumes (like a WSYNC), or
> does it just send the sync signal to the TV and keep on running
> regardless of how many scan lines have passed since the last time?  I'm
> hoping it's the former, of course, but I'm guessing it's probably
> really the latter.  The emulator I'm using (Stella 0.7) seems to think
> any number of scan lines in a frame is fine, but I don't know how much
> faith I should put in its emulation.

Yeap, Stella 0.7 doesn't care about the number of scan lines in a frame.
I'd like to change this in the next release of Stella, however, I
need some information.  What is the minimum and maximum number of
scanlines for NTSC and PAL systems?  And what happens when the number
of scanlines is outside these bounds (does the screen roll)?

Thanks,
Brad

Bradford W. Mott (bwmott@xxxxxxx)          Computer Science Department
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwmott/www           North Carolina State University