Re: [stella] PAL/NTSC issues

Subject: Re: [stella] PAL/NTSC issues
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
> >1) a difficulty or console switch to toggle.
> >2) two separate assemblies.

> profitable, like it was then. So in my opinion, Version 1) would be
> better nowadays. But that uses up one difficulty or console switch. So
> the question would be if there's a way for the software to tell whether
> it runs on PAL or NTSC without requiring the user to tell it to the
> program.

Production run wouldn't be affected that much.  Randy makes the carts in
very small quantities, maybe even to order...I don't know.  There's nothing
physically different between the formats, just burning different code into
the EPROMs.  So the stumbling block falls back to the programmer.  If he/she
wants to create two rom images to save code space, it's his/her choice.  But
it isn't mandatory.  Just my 2 cents...

I think this was all discussed before, but I'll mention this one item.  If
you want to include the option for any format, simply latch the value of
a console switch.  You still use extra ROM and 2 bits of RAM (PAL/NTSC/SECAM),
but you don't lose a switch in the process.

Piero, how did you do this in Oystron?  And how costly was it?

-Chris