Re: [stella] Beat em up 08

Subject: Re: [stella] Beat em up 08
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:35:04 GMT
>I think it is time to show you the newest version of the beat em up
>game. This one uses Supercharger bankswitching and displays the
>powerbars with the multi sprite trick. Therefore you might want to
>try it out on a real VCS. I hope the powerbars display correctly
>on all VCSs. (Erik, does it work on your system?)

It certainly seems to.  Eckhard, this is awesome-and-a-half :)  I love that
floor as well... who'd'a thunk the 2600 was capable of any of this?

Of course, it needs some gameplay and not just fancy graphics, but we'll
come up with some of that too.

>I have also changed the graphics completely. I hope you like this
>one better than the old version too. You can now step forward and
>backward, turn around and punch high straight and low in the direction
>you are facing. I haven't come up with a good way of collision
>detection yet, so hitting the other player won't have any effect on him.
>I also added support for y-coordinates, but don't use it in this version.

Obviously, you can't use the hardware collision registers, but it doesn't
seem all that difficult.. At it's simplest, it'd just be a check to see if
the "hot-spot" for the punching player's fist is within a rectangular area
that the other player is in.

>If you have any comments or suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Where's Chris whats-his-name, the Intel guy, with his 128k Megacart thing?