Re: [stella] Thrust v0.9

Subject: Re: [stella] Thrust v0.9
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:41:54 +0200 (CEST)
"John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I'm having problems making the game operate.
>>Thrust, fire, and shield/tractor work, but I can't
rotate.
>>Does anyone else have this problem?

>Yeah, me too.  Currently I'm using PCAE 2.2.
>Also, all letters in THRUST don't light up.   The 'U'
and
>the final 'T' are missing.

>Hmm... what's the deal with an illegal opcode (lax,
was
>it?)?  Was this a
>misprint for TAX, or is it something PCAE can't deal
>with really well? What's it for?

LAX is an illegal opcode which does LDA and TAX. In
the
scoring-display-routine (which also displays THRUST)
i'm
using LAX (ptr),Y to get the data faster into the
X-register
(5 vs. 7 clocks). This gives me the time to do the
color-cycling.

There are a few other places in the code (rotate the
ship!), where illegal opcodes help me to save time or
space.

So you MUST use z26 www.whimsey.com/z26/z26.html)
to play the game. PCAE (ignore) and Stella (crash)
don't
support illegal opcodes. If a real VCS can handle
those
opcodes (i can't test this, please help me), it's a
problem
of those emulators. Maybe illegal opcode were never
used in other games. I don't know...

I want Thrust to work on are real VCS, if someone
would
show that illegal opcodes are a problem, i'd change
the
code. If not, i think the non-working emulators could
be
fixed very easily.

=====
Thomas Jentzsch           | *** Every bit is sacred ! ***
tjentzsch at yahoo dot de |