Re: [stella] New Game Idea

Subject: Re: [stella] New Game Idea
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 02:09:42 -0500
At 02:50 PM 1/5/01 +0100, Manuel Polik wrote:
>Wow, with only three different stages, you could spend a whole 4K for an
>intro!

I was thinking about that for the 2600 version of Congorilla (Donkey Kong
boot I was fond of, but I'd love the 2600 version to be better than Donkey
Kong) since I'd love to have the monkey-climbing-girders sequence and "How
High Can You Try?" and the two of those done right could easily take up 4K.
 That was one of my intended winter vacation projects though, and I didn't
even start it.

>If anybody on the list will attempt to not do a clone, but a port of
>Jumpman, I'd be glad to host that project on my Epyx Shrine.

I wouldn't bother using any of the code from the other ports; I'd use some
of the graphics (conversion to player/missile permitting) but the rest
would be reimplementation while trying to be as faithful to the gameplay as
possible.

>Same goes for any port of an Epyx game to the VCS. If you haven't
>visited the shrine lately, check out the latest updates, it now already
>features Fire One, Silicon Warrior & Sword Of Fargoal and soon Crush,
>Crumble & Chomp. I think they all could possibly be ported to the VCS,

I've been thinking about Jumpman for some time now, maybe as a SC multiload
(I was gonna call it just Jump, since Glenn has a business relationship
with some people who could get annoyed about Epyx trademark abuse, and
besides, that way I could do 8x8 letters using the playfield for the intro)
but like my Congorilla and Galaga ideas (not to mention my cheezy preview
binfile for Ballblazer), I just haven't had time to make any progress, just
notes about how I could pull it off.  Anyone else who is as fond of Jumpman
and Jumpman Jr. as I am but has more time should run with it ;)

BTW, a little OT, but I just got a Hotrod SE for 99 bucks from
computersworth.com and it's so sweet.  They're doing another limited run
next week if anyone wants a really solid dual arcade joystick for half of
what it usually is from Hanaho.  I apologize if this comes across as an
advertisement for either Hanaho or Computersworth, but I'm pretty psyched
about it.  Now all I have to do is patch xstella so the key bindings match ;)

Rob

kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog ... Rob