Re: [stella] Qb: Latest version v0.01

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: Latest version v0.01
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:49:55 +0100
Andrew Davie wrote:

> > --- InitCubes
> > Replace:
> >         lda #0
> >         sta TargetDisplay+8
> >         sta TargetDisplay+9  ; SLIDING TARGET AREA
> >
> >         sta Grid
> >         sta Grid+1
> >         sta Grid+2
> >         sta Grid+3
> > with:
> >         lda #0
> > ldx #$5
> > ClearTG sta TargetDisplay+8,x
> > dex
> > bpl ClearTG

> No.  This creates a dependency between the physical location of the
> variables.  I do not like this at all;  they are distinct units, and tying
> them together like this is just asking for trouble and heartache.  If I got
> really really desperate I might consider something like this!  You'd have to
> be VERY thourough with your commenting if you were to do something like
> this.

I'm desperate all the time. See the desperados in my game :-)

> > --- CreateTableaux
> > Replace:
> > CheckGrid
> [snip/snip]
> > with:
> > CheckGrid
> >
> >         lda Grid,x
> >         and TargetBit,y
> >         beq EnterPosition
> > bne CTab

> No.  It is unlikely, but possible, that the random number routine will NEVER
> select a vacant grid position.  And here the program will lock up looking
> for one (using your code).  The original code selected a random position,
> then stepped along the row/column until it DID find a blank spot.
> Guaranteed termination.  It is much safer left as it is (though less
> elegant).  ESPECIALLY when using a dodgy random number routine which isn't
> really nearly random at all.

Depends on the quality of the random generator, you're right. Since the
maximum number of cubes is 7, your chance of hitting a free square is
always > 50%. After just 10 tries with totally random numbers the
possibility of not having a vacant position is lower than 1:1024. The
case that it isn't vacant after 20 tries is lower than one in a million.
So, how random are you're random numbers? :-)

> > --- InitCubes
> > Replace:
> [snip/snip]
> > with:
> > ldx #$01
> > PCube   lda PlayerCube,x
> >         and #%11111000
> >         ora IC_FedCubeIndex
> >         sta PlayerCube,x
> >         jsr TieToCube
> > dex
> > bpl PCube

> Agreed!  Good.
> Thanks for those :)

When time permits, I'm looking for more :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-