Re: [stella] Qb/Demo background animation (semi-playable)

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb/Demo background animation (semi-playable)
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:16:35 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> If you look at Save Mary, which this game has some similarities to in
> playfield usage, that game appears to represent graphics as both sprite and
> playfield, where the falling brick is a blocky sprite and then it becomes
> playfield.

That's what I meant. Or take the various Tetris variants, working with
the same principle.

BTW: An interesting use of a sprite/PF mixture is the plane(!) in
Barnstorming.

Talking about BIG moving objects, most impressive thing I've seen so far
is 'Dolphin'. How on earth did they do that?!? These two very big, even
animated sprites + that object in the water in the same scanline without
any flicker...
I bet, both the dolphin & the kraken(?) are made of one sprite + one
missile, but just think how much work they must've spent to make it look
that great! I think they even horizontally move & change the # (&size)
of missile copies in every line for both objects!!
Absolutely pushing the VCS to it's limits and even beyond :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-