[stella] Gunfight (flicker)

Subject: [stella] Gunfight (flicker)
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 04:53:28 -0800
I would try to avoid flicker at all costs with this game.

I think I have the perfect solution here, one that I don't think anyone has been thinking of yet, but maybe it's because it pretty much means a complete rewrite...

Shift the perspective so that the players fight top bottom instead of left right.

I admit that it's not a natural perspective, but it could look okay. It's an overhead perspective regardless...

The 2600 loves vertical separation. The gunfight play pattern conveniently does not allow overlap of the gunslingers, so by keeping them vertically separated you gain access to paint them with BOTH sprites. When you use all the sprites to draw one shape you can do some really nice displays like the running animation in Decathlon.

You could therefore have 2-colors-per-scanline 8-bit sprites or nice color-striped 16-bit wide sprites. You could probably go back to a single-line kernel also.

Also, this way your obstacles in the center can very easily be a playfield bitmap because it would be in the no-man's land where the sprites aren't drawn. But even if you chose to use sprites you'd have all 5 of them to work with at once.

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/