Re: [stella] Qb: RELEASE CANDIDATE #1

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: RELEASE CANDIDATE #1
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:02:26 +0100
> * Creatures are now graduated in difficulty.  Mostly you won't see nasties
> for the first few screens...  though one occasionally shows up just to
keep
> you on your toes.

Difficulty seems pretty reasonable now. However I'd still like it better,
if the different nasties would have different behaviour. Otherwise what's
the point of wasting space for the animation for several nasties. Maybe
you could make the onion just sit on a cube and block it. Make the rabbit
hop from cube to cube, if one is nearby. And make the octopus move the
cubes around. In return you could make them appear more often. That way
you could use different strategies for avoiding them without having to
press the button when one appears.

> * When your timer runs out and the screen pattern changes, your SCORE
starts
> decrementing.  I added this to encourage people to complete screens rather
> than hanging around jumping on fruit forevermore.  It works OK, though it
is
> a bit of a surprise when it first happens :)   Also, this works very well
in
> higher levels (where the pattern changes more quickly), as you kind of
reach
> a plateaux (scorewise).

Maybe you could stop the decrementing, when Qb dies in this mode.
It's kind of frustrating if the decrementing goes on, while Qb shakes
his head, since you can't do anything at this moment.

> * Timing (lines/frame) mostly fixed.  There appears to be the occasional
> line jump/glitch on some screens, so I guess I'll probably have to look
> at/find/fix that, if possible.

Not quite. The title screen displays nicely with 312 lines, but the
game screen shows no colour. When the level data is shown, you do
311 lines, and when the score is shown, you do 313 lines, which also
causes the screen to shift a little, when the display changes.

Also there still seems to be a very rare case of when a hopping
nasty would result in one scanline too much. In this version
it results in a short flash of colour on my PAL system. ;-)

> I have no memory left - but, I am now happy with the game.

Maybe you could at least find one more byte. Then you could move
the RTS away from address $FFF7. It prevents the game from working
on a Supercharger. I had to set up the 7800 RAM cart to do the
colour testing for you. ;-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

-