Re: [stella] Cartridge PCBs have arrived

Subject: Re: [stella] Cartridge PCBs have arrived
From: "Christopher Rydberg" <solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 07:22:00 -0000
A,

I'm looking in to that very thing here in Taiwan. I am hoping to make a large quantity of blanks for future use, but need to get a few empty cases to provide to the manufacturers to make molds from. Could someone mail me with some info on standard case sizes and which games used them? Also, what about the possible limitations of certain cases. I'm dumb on the technical side of the Atari world and could use some assistance. Any mail appreciated.

Christopher Rydberg solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx afterlife.terrashare.com

The boards are great, Joe
... but does anyone know where to source blank plastic cart cases?
Cheers
 _  _  _| _ _        _| _    * _                               _  ,
(_|| )(_|( (/_\/\/  (_|(_|\/(_(/_                           ,~' L_|\
                                                         ,-'        \
see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
Qb: the latest retro video game!                          L,~'  "\__/
http://www.atari2600.org/qb.html                              @--> v

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wilkson" <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx> To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 4:13 PM Subject: Re: [stella] Cartridge PCBs have arrived

> In message <0e2fft85fpsopjjivminsu35ob8ut2a0j9@xxxxxxx>, Erik Mooney
writes:
> >On Tue, 08 May 2001 00:32:18 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >>The board uses a 7404 Hex Inverter (14-pin DIP) to invert the
address/chip
> >>select line. I designed the board specifically for use with 4K ROMs. 2K
> >>should also work, but anything larger than 4K (2732s) will not work.
> >
> >I'm no electronics whiz, but I recall someone mentioning that the
inverter
> >for the chip-select line could be done with a single transistor, no need
> >for a (comparatively) bulky and expensive 14-pin DIP chip. Based on my
> >sketchy knowledge, I think that's correct. Anyone? Wilkson?
>
> Yah, you can do this...with a couple of resistors added. Cheaper, but
only
> by a few cents. A 7404 chip only costs 30 cents or so. A transistor is
> maybe 10 cents and a resistor is 1 cent. These are rough figures of
course.
> But the relative costs are about right. In this case, since the pcb is
> designed to fit a standard atari case, there's plenty of extra room for
> the dip. Besides: 100 14 pin dips are easier to install than 100
> transistors and 200 resistors! :)
>
> Of course if you're making 100 boards, that 22 cents comes to 22 dollars!
;)

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/