Re: [stella] Death Derby

Subject: Re: [stella] Death Derby
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:58:30 -0700
At 08:50 AM 8/27/2001 +0200, you wrote:
I'm starting to wonder, if I'm the only one around, who doesn't like the basic idea of the game?
A little bit of abstraction woudn't hurt the gameplay at all...

For what it's worth, I was thinking of making two versions of the game, one with "gremlins" and one with pedestrians, or even putting both into the same game so you can switch between them, and either creating two different boxes or one reversible box. But really, the graphics are so blocky it's hard not to consider it abstract. I'm actually not that fond of black comedy in general. But the original game (not to mention the movie) has a mystique about it, and it's one of the few games left from that era that was never ported to the 2600. That combined with it being after 2000, when Death Race 2000 was supposed to take place, got me thinking it would be the game to do for kitsch value if nothing else.

I understand even today there might be a negative reaction when the game is released, but that just makes it an interesting social experiment to see how much attitudes have or haven't changed in 25 years.

-