RE: [stella] Warring Worms on real VCS

Subject: RE: [stella] Warring Worms on real VCS
From: "Billy Eno" <norby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:28:54 -0500
> There is DEFINITELY a timing problem here; the screen jumps
> whenever a shot connects or worm collides with a trail..

I see it with the Z26 emulator also, though I do not see it with Stella or
downloaded to my SuperCharger.  I guess it is possible my TV is too "good"
and stabilized the image somehow.   Is the TV you're playing on older?  I
will go for making it working on the Z26 emulator, I get the feeling from
the list that it is the preferred emulator for realism.

> The Select switch debounce timer should probably be made a
> little slower.  On an old console like mine it's touchy.

Very easy to do.  (done)

> It's a bit disconcerting to shoot THROUGH the other guy's
> face and take out the 2nd or 3rd block in his trail.  The game
> is playable this way but it just doesn't look right.

Trying to figure out how to handle that now...

> In single-player mode the fire button or joystick should start the
> game. It doesn't make sense to have to keep reaching over and
> hitting RESET.  Also, I'd think about putting the game select
> counter in a different position from the score; it looks like you
> RESET to game 0 when you're actually starting the game with
> score 0.

Easy enough to make fire start the game (it already does from the title
screen).
I could probably make the select number a different color at least.
Positioning it to the middle or something could be tricky (or annoying) the
way I do it now.

> The sound is real muddy through a real Stella and real TV.

There hardly is any sound right now, but I do think it needs to be a little
cleaner, sounds a bit like combat now. :>

> And oh yeah, the basic game looks real good up there.  :-)

Thanks! :->
Feedback is always welcome.

Regards,
Billy