Re: [stella] Midified VCS...

Subject: Re: [stella] Midified VCS...
From: AutismUK@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:32:23 EST
In a message dated 16/11/01 15:44:23 GMT Standard Time, achten@xxxxxx writes:

<< Do you know where I can get these schematics? I actually planned to
redesign
 the TIA in TTL logic, but I realized that reverse engineering the TIA would
 be FAR too complex if you want to include every strange sideeffect of the IC
 (with high possibility that new discovered effects wont work). SO, having the
 schematics, I could understand how the IC works and would be able to to a
 nearly perfect implementation of the design, enabling all sideeffects and
being
 able to improve the chip (including RGB support for both PAL and NTSC), and
 writing down a doc how the TIA works. >>

I always thought the TIA was relatively simple. I mean, surely the 2600
was engineered to be cheap to make (ASICs weren't cheap then).
I thought it was basically a big bidirectional shift register (playfield),
and presettable counters and latch/shift registers for the players
and missiles, and some timing.

I mean, it can't be that complex.... there seem to be quite a few
diagrams in the stella document.

I can't imagine they designed it at the FET level, surely it must be
a modular design ?