Re: [stella] Farewell, StellaList

Subject: Re: [stella] Farewell, StellaList
From: "MoonlightKnight" <mnlghtnt@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:58:43 -0600
> Most collectors don't care about the quality of a game at all. It's the
package and the rarity that interests them. They like to keep the boxes
unopened. If you want to make money, you have to suit their needs.

> If you realy like programming for the 2600, but don't want to do a nice
package and a lot of advertising, you will not sell much to them. The total
sales of Thrust until now are 33 and Jammed did 9.

> The best you can do, is to combine a good game with a good package (Qb),
but the good game is not very essential for the sales.

> The more people will realize that, the more badly done or so called "new"
(hacked!) games will arise. And that's a very sad thing.

> BTW: I have nothing against collectors, they help a lot to keep the 2600
alive. But I don't like the people who *only* want to make some quick money
without bringing something new to the community.

Hello everyone!

I'm kinda new here but I wanted to put my two cents in on this one.  My
first video game was the Atari I got for Christmas when I was a kid. I still
own that unit and have a couple more on top of that. No matter what new
systems come out I will still keep playing my Atari until it blows up or
craps out.

I believe it is possible to be a collector AND a player. I like a good
quality game but that won't stop me from collecting them ALL, good or bad.
I'm always on the lookout for a better label than the on I have, but
packaging is just a bonus to me. After all, what good is owning a game if
you're not going to play it?

 I'm glad to see that there are still people making games for Atari and look
forward to owning a copy of every one of them. I even hope someday to create
my own original game. Even if I only sold that game to 1 or 2 people, it
would be OUT THERE. That's all that really matters.

I agree with Thomas, that trying to make a buck without inovation isn't the
right motivation for making a game. But doing what you love and trying to
give something back is. I salute all you homebrewers for keeping the
interest in our beloved system alive, and I hope to join your ranks soon!

Thanks again!!!
Brian J Nelson