Re: vcs.h (was: Re: [stella] redline problem OK...THANKS!!!!)

Subject: Re: vcs.h (was: Re: [stella] redline problem OK...THANKS!!!!)
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:10:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

> > Regarding z26...how could I possibly trust something that doesn't support
> > the Mecacart memory format!?  :P
>
> The Mecacart memory format? Admit it Chris, you just made that one up.
> If that's all you can bring up against z26, then it's not going
> to change my faith in the emulator acuracy. ;-)
>
> As for your old Megacart format, once someone sends us a ROM
> image or a working prototype cart, we are going to add support
> for it to z26. Well, maybe for a Megacart jr. format, since we
> are running very low on space already. ;-)

Yes, I did make it up.  But that doesn't make it any less valid as
a hardware format.  :)  I'm the first to admit that it's vaporware,
and I often poke fun at my self over that.  But it is sort of a chicken
and the egg thing.  Stella supports it ("MC" format), but a lot of people
use z26 for development purposes due to its superior emulation.  If the
emulators support a format, that's one less barrier to someone's trying
to use it.  And if someone tells me they want to use it, you'll see a
hardware prototype in a couple of months.  So there.  :P

On a more serious note, what are the space limitations in z26?

> > The above URL contains complete memory maps, in various styles.  Enjoy!
>
> In your TIA chart you are listing most of the read addresses as
> "undefined", while they actually repeat every $10 addresses. So
> reading from $01 is the same as readingf from $11, $21, $31 etc.
> In fact some games read from addresses at $3x, since those are
> undefined as write addresses. Maybe you could add a note to your
> TIA chart?

Oops.  I almost said "I'll fix that when I have time", but that's been
on my "to do" list for months now.  I put it off the last time, then
forgot all about it.  It's fixed now.  I think.  If anyone sees any more
errors on any of the maps, or has comments or requests, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Chris