Re: [stella] My First Atari 2600 Game

Subject: Re: [stella] My First Atari 2600 Game
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:49:54 -0400
>Maybe you can find some useful code in my TomInv demo (11x5)
>code.

Thanks! However, I doubt I'll be changing those routines at this point. I was just trying to illustrate how little room is left over when you're doing the RESP0/RESP1 trick, be it 9 or 11 sprites and that anyone who plans to use that technique really needs to be aware of this (as well as the problems associated with displaying 0 ro 1 copies of either Player). But the real reason I'm not doing 11x5 is that left shift problem. Otherwise I expect I'd find some way to cram it all in....

Hrm, though looking at this, did you manage to eliminate the shifting problem? Or are you switching between shifted and non-shifted bitmaps to compensate?

>I stopped development then, because I don't have access to
>hardware for testing and all available emulators are not doing
>this 100% perfect. Eckhard Stolberg did some tests for me, but
>it would have been to much time consumpting to go on that way.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but you should really pick up a Supercharger. They're available pretty cheap and so, so handy. Unless you modify it, you do need to avoid  $FFF8 and $FFF9 (Boy was that a big surprise! <smile>) but I don't know what I'd do without it. (Well, unless you don't have a console at all, in which case, what're you living with the wolves?)

Chris...