Re: [stella] Supercharger Compatibility

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger Compatibility
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:59:43 +0100
Hello Christopher,

So while messing around with Kool-Aid Man, I decided to have a go at
modifying it to work with the Supercharger. I know about $fff8/$fff9 but
modifying Kool-Aid Man to avoid those addresses didn't help much, it still
crashes the Supercharger.
<<

When we were trying to figure out why Kool-Aid Man wasn't working
on z26, I also modified it to run on the Supercharger to be able
to do some tests. There aren't any problems, if you really avoid
all accesses to $FFF8/$FFF9. In the binary you have posted there
are some instructions located at these addresses, which would
crash the SC when this routine gets executed. And if you try to
shorten the code, let me remind you how the 6507 handles one
byte instructions. It always reads the next byte too. So putting
a RTS at $FFF7 will also not work on the SC. I wish someone had
told me that when I was playing around with the Kool-Aid Man
ROM on the SC. ;-)

Is there a list of 4k ROMs which are not Supercharger compatible? It
obviously wouldn't be a project on level with Thomas's PAL2NTSC hacks but it
seems like a good excuse to poke through a bunch of .bins and get them
working...
<<

Lee Krueger did a compatibility list for his "Worship the Woodgrain"
CD compilation. But it has sold out quite a while ago. He seems to
have been testing some games only very briefly though, since some
of the ones he had marked as working crashed after a couple minutes
of play.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg