Re: [stella] emulators w/ debug features

Subject: Re: [stella] emulators w/ debug features
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:55:56 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Chris Larkin wrote:

> > Are there any emulators with built in debugging features?
> >
> > I'd love to be able to query register and memory values while
> > the program is running...

> Z26 and PCAEwin have debug functions.

About this time last year I was working on a version of stella-1.1
with a line-mode debugger (like old-style 8-bit `machine language monitors').

I got pretty far along, but never formally released the code partly because
around that time, the stella sourceforge site was set up, and I was going
to clean up my code and check it in there, and partly because when I posted
to this list about it, nobody seemed interested in a non-GUI debugger, or
a debugger that only works on Linux/UNIX and DOS (but not windows 2000/XP).

Unfortunately, in the past year, I haven't had time to do much besides
work, so the code's gotten way out of sync with the current CVS version
of stella.. Just the other day, oddly enough, I was playing around with
it, with the idea of rewriting it instead of trying to fix the ugly, old
code from last year.

If there's any interest, I'll post what I have on a www server somewhere.
The way things are going, it might be another year before I get to touch
it again.

B.