Re: [stella] Cartridge dumper again

Subject: Re: [stella] Cartridge dumper again
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:13:58 -0800
At 08:23 PM 1/11/2003 +0100, you wrote:
There aren't that many games with extra RAM support. And all you
have to do is put the better ROMs at a prominent place like AtariAge.
Then, if someone complains that a certain game doesn't get recognized
by his emulator, you could just point him there. There is no need to
replace everyone's ROM collection immidiately. We only have to prevent
new dumps of the same game to get distributed.

A good compromise would be for it to first guess the banking scheme, then apply masks in the RAM address ranges and compute new checksums to try to identify the particular game. If the checksum matches something in its database, then raise a prompt that will ask the user if the program can fix the ROM dump for him. In most all cases I doubt the emulator would be able to match against multiple games in its database, but even if it did, it could just let the user pick the match. The user is going to know it unless the ROM has a completely cryptic filename.

If AtariAge and elsewhere fixes their ROM images AND If everyone slowly scrubs their ROM collection this way then we should be okay in no time.