RE: [stella] acceleration and inertia

Subject: RE: [stella] acceleration and inertia
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:20:37 +0100
Hi there!

> Is this related in some way with this? :

> "...If the NTSC version is designed with 2 byte
> fractional addition techniques (or anything not based
> on frames per second) to move objects, then PAL
> conversion can be as simple as changing the fraction
> tables, avoiding major surgery on the program." (from
> the big book).

I think so, yes.

> I didn't really know what the author tried to say, but
> I think I get it now. You can tell me.

It's some very simple pseudo implementation of floating
point numbers of sorts. If you only have one byte, you
can move a thing only in

n pixels per frame.

With 2 bytes you can move it

n.(m/256) pixels per frame

For 1,5 pixels per frame make m = 128 for example.

Well, and for NTSC to PAL timing transfer, just ensure
the NTSC m to be ~80% (can someone provide the correct
value? 83,4%?) of the PAL m

That is valid at least for a NTSC to PAL50 translation.
If you do a PAL60 conversion only, the timings match
already.

Greetings,
	Manuel