RE: [stella] Batari BASIC contest entry: Solar Plexus!

Subject: RE: [stella] Batari BASIC contest entry: Solar Plexus!
From: "Bob Montgomery" <BobM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:03:09 -0400
Hi,

>And, I hope I don't sound arrogant now, I don't think [stella] is the
>right place to discuss BASIC games. The AA forums are IMO much better
>fitting for that type of coding.

I dunno, Thomas.  Here's the blurb from the [stella] "front" page:

"This list was designed as as support group for Starpath CD owners
and anyone else trying to write 2600 games or just to understand
how they work. Since 1996, Stellalist has established itself as
THE meeting place for the select few people around the globe who
still understand the 2600 to congregate, share techniques, and
learn from each other."

Nothing in there about "assembler only."  :)

Folks writing in bBasic don't write kernels and don't (have to) write in assembly.
Other than that, they are writing for the same platform and so share the
same limitations that assembly programmers share:
two sprites, two missiles, one ball, limited playfield, limited RAM/ROM, and all
the quirks of the mighty TIA (bBasic coders have to write sound routines essentially
the same as assembly coders do, as one example).

Maybe this isn't the right place for bBasic discussion despite all that, but
it isn't obvious to me.  But I could be wrong :)

-bob