Re: (dsssl) Japanese and OpenJade

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Japanese and OpenJade
From: jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:40:03 +0100

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Tony Graham - Sun Ireland - Staff Engineer wrote:

> jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx wrote at  7 Mar 2001 +0100:
>  > Something new, for me anyway.
>  > I am trying to use openjade to produce HTML pages in japanese. The
input is
>  >  an SGML file whose content has been translated to double-byte code.
>  >.../...
>  > Any hint would be *very* appreciated.
>
> You don't actually show what you've specified as the syntax reference
> character set, so it's hard to say what the problem really is.
> .../...
> Read charset.htm from the nsgmls distribution, and then set your
> SP_CHARSET_FIXED, SP_SYSTEM_ENCODING, SP_ENCODING, and SP_BCTF
> environment variables to match what your input looks like.
Thanks Tony.

According to the Openjade documentation, the only environment
variable that can be used with Openjade is SP_ENCODING.
And it does not seem that I have to change the SGML declaration, the
standatd one being OK.

I had some difficulties to have an SGML example file and to get some
precison upon the coding used. It is sjis in both in and output files.

Anyway, if I have good results with ucs-2 unicode and koi8-r too, but
then, Openjade finds a lot of non-sgml characters, which seems normal.
But as the characters are output without modification, the result is good.

With, sjis, I get good results too, but Openjade complains upon errors
in the stylesheet :

openjade:/xo/.../sgml/sgml.dsl:71:44:E:invalid character after '#'
(define (strip str #!optional (stripchars '(#\space #\&#RE #\U-0009)))
(strip is one Norman Walsh's function)
I supposec that this a result of the stylesheet being parsed using
SP_ENCODING.
I would be happy to get rid of this error, because I am afraid it will
prevent the function to work, if needed.

     Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
           and do not necessarily represent those of IBM.
Jany Quintard                                 | Editing is a
IBM Paris Laboratory                          | rewording activity.
Application & Integration Middleware Division |   Alan J. Perlis