Re: [stella] New game concept

Subject: Re: [stella] New game concept
From: Joe Grand <jgrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:58:52 -0500
Awesome.. Thanks for all the comments so far! I'm glad the concept makes
(at least) some sense.. I love all the ideas..

This is my first 2600 game, but I've had a lot of experience with writing
low-level driver code in ASM and I've been studying the source code
snippets passed on the list.. As a matter of fact, I just found a 6502
programming book I had lying around.. Should come in handy..

Doing the game in a linear fashion reminds me of another (cheesier) concept
which would be a punch-tool and a ballot! :) I was thinking paper punch
tape (from the old computing days), but the whole election got me going..
The ballot could pass under the punch tool and the player would punch the
colored areas.. Yuck.. I couldn't write a game based around the election..
Having a linear environment reminds me a lot of Frogger, too, when you're
trying to land on the logs/turtles. That would be in a horizontal
configuration.. A vertical configuration would be possible, too, with the
head at the bottom (or top) of the screen.. That would be very
Kaboom-esque. I'm still leaning towards something like Mark suggested (or
Glenn) with a simulated motion of the disc or a zoomed-in portion of the
arc, but I need to do a little poking around first before I ask any silly
questions..

I spent some time today setting up the dev. environment and I'm currently
playing with Nick B's playfield code (which is extremely cool, by the
way).. Tommorrow I'll print out the Stella dev. guide at work :)

I'll let you guys know how I make out..

Joe