Re: Re: Aw: [stella] Calling all...

Subject: Re: Re: Aw: [stella] Calling all...
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:44:32 +0200
> Hm... so for every four games of mine he sells, he can send me another
> homebrew one, so I'm soon to play Oystron, TPS & Thrust on the real
> thing :-)

I think bankswitching games, like Thrust, are more expensive, as
Randy has to use newly designed boards and extra logic chips for them.

> BTW: There's some PAL <-> NTSC business I don't understand. It's maybe a
stupid
>      question, but is there a hardware difference between a PAL & a NTSC
>      console?
>
> I mean, I bought that NTSC console via eBay. At least the seller
> assumed that it was NTSC. So I hooked it onto my TV and got a stable
picture
> and some crappy noises instead of proper sound. Now, what I was expecting
from
> a NTSC console was more a rolling picture and normal sound, so I now think
> its not a NTSC console but a broken PAL one. hm... how would I find out
for
> sure?

The main differences between PAL and NTSC VCSs are the colour encoding
and the sound carrier frequency. So if you connect a NTSC VCS to a PAL
TV, you should get a picture without colour or sound. The display
frequency is chosen by the games, and most PAL TVs can easiely handle
60 Hz. So there shouldn't be any rolling picture, just like there is
no rolling picture when you play a NTSC game on a PAL console.

BTW, the sound carrier frequency is also different between the different
versions of PAL. So if your VCS can display colours, but you don't get
any sound, it might be a British or Danish version.

> Oh-oh... you're saying that he is cannibalising? I wouldn't like the
> idea of another cartridge being destroyed for a game of mine, even
> if it was Combat.
> (Hm... maybe if it was 3D-Tic-Tac-Toe... :-))

You should see it like this: Oshea has over a million Atari cartridges
which spead out over only about 30 titles. So there certainly is no
shortage for these games. And the alternative for these carts is probably
a hot desert mass grave next to E.T. and Pac Man. By turning them into
homebrew games you're keeping at least some parts of them alive. And
you as a German should be used to the idea of trash seperation for
recycling purposes,right? Or don't you have to have as many different
trash cans in your apartment as we do over here in Niedersachsen. ;-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

-