Re: [stella] 2600 emu for GBA

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emu for GBA
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:51:10 +1000
> So is my interpretation of what Otaku's emu does off base? That is, is
> it an emulator that tries to "interpret" the code and do the right thing
> instead of actually emulating each chip of the original hardware? (As in
> the N64 emu example.) Or does it do something else?

I don't now about Otaku's, but the other effort is a cycle-precise emu.
Surely you have to be to get a reasonable 2600 emulator?   In any case, the
authors are both aware of the timing issues on the 2600.

> How does the emu you're helping with deal with the 2600? Does it try to
> emulate each chip?

Well, I would think that to do an effective emulator you would have to be
fairly similar to the hardware.  I don't know enough about either effort at
the moment to be able to say exactly what approach is taken in
implementation.

> Ok, fair enough. Are any of these efforts (as far as you know) headed
> for commercial products?

Currently they are both homebrew.  I don't know what plans the authors have,
though I think one of them will eventually be used as the B-sides engine...
who knows :)

Cheers
see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
Qb: the latest retro video game!                          L,~'  "\__/
http://www.atari2600.org/qb.html                              @--> v

-