Re: [stella] Stella at 20

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella at 20
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:06:30 -0230
On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:29:15PM -0400, nj bloodline wrote:
> DiVx is terrible! The places I hang out on IRC we rip music videos off
> digital television (or sometimes vhs) and into mpg format.. VCD or SVCD..
> they are so nice looking if you use the right recording codecs. I use one
> called HUFFYUV and it's lossless. Our rips look beautiful.
>
> On the other hand, DiVx isn't even a standard. VCD/SVCD are.

Um, isn't DivX basically just MPEG4 with a few tweaks? Seems
high quality and lossless enough -- pretty much in line with
DVD. HUFFYUV is probably just huffman encoding of the luma
and chroma of each frame? (like JPEG without the DCT and
quantization, perhaps?)

With HUFFYUV you're probably not exactly getting stellar
compression levels... and it's hard to compare the quality of
VCD to DivX -- MPEG4 is superior to MPEG1 in many ways.

--
  -/
 |/|  Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
 /-