Re: [stella] Stella at 20

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella at 20
From: "nj bloodline" <njbl00dline@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:03:13 -0400
> Um, isn't DivX basically just MPEG4 with a few tweaks? Seems
> high quality and lossless enough -- pretty much in line with
> DVD. HUFFYUV is probably just huffman encoding of the luma
> and chroma of each frame? (like JPEG without the DCT and
> quantization, perhaps?)

Well, when you play DiVx and forward or rewind the video, there's a 2-3
second period when it needs to catchup, so it  plays really fast usually
with no sound.. while it synchs (with DiVx 3.11 codec). With the new DiVx 4
Beta Codec, I get even worse synch times of 3-4 seconds. MPG I have no
problems. Most stuff has a keyframe every frame, or close to it, so you can
pinpoint your forward and rewinds.

Not too much sure about anything else with the HUFFYUV codec except that I
have a cheap $79 capture card, as do some other rippers, and my rips look
incredible compaired to what they did before. Some rippers have $1000+ video
cards, and they can be better, but with this codec I've done rips as good as
$300 or $400 capture cards like the Pinnacle.

> With HUFFYUV you're probably not exactly getting stellar
> compression levels... and it's hard to compare the quality of
> VCD to DivX -- MPEG4 is superior to MPEG1 in many ways.

Well, this is just a CAPTURE codec.. then we encode into MPEG format..
either VCD or SVCD.

-