Re: [stella] Experimental Text Screen

Subject: Re: [stella] Experimental Text Screen
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:41:42 -0500
On Sunday 26 January 2003 02:11, Paul Slocum wrote:
> But how do you display W and M in a 4 bit font?

I've been thinking maybe the way to go is pseudo-proportional - make a 4-bit
font for all the characters except W and M, and make them "macros" of two
characters.

N has never looked too good in three pixels either (usually the solution is to
use a large lowercase N) but I guess you could forgo the space between it and
the next character as some C64 80-character programs did.

You could take this approach further and make a two-bit wide character set
where most characters are "macros" like this, and get something that's very
much like a real proportional font, and I don't think it would be that much
more work than all the ANDing and ORing you'll already have to do for
4-pixel-wide characters though it mayl take up more ROM space as you'll need
two tables instead of one.  (Or alternately, a PC-based "ASCII to Atari
proportional" conversion tool which will cause your text data to use up more
ROM space.)  Mmmm, Atari Tahoma.

Of course this would all work better if you had RAM to play with.

Rob