Re: rotating pages?

Subject: Re: rotating pages?
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:11:49 +0000
At 14:37 15/07/97 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >   (make simple-page-sequence
> >         (make paragraph
> > 	      (literal "First page.")))
> >   (make simple-page-sequence
>
>can i be entirely clear in my mind about this - does
>simple-page-sequence have page breaks at start and end?

The way to think about it is that a simple-page-sequence produces a sequence
of page areas.

>ie
>does this:
>
> (make sequence
>   (literal "abc"))
> (make simple-page-sequence
>        (make paragraph
> 	      (literal "First page.")))
> (make sequence
>   (literal "xyx"))

But there has to be a simple-page-sequence enclosing all that, which means
you've got a nested simple-page-sequence.  Since a simple-page-sequence
takes its content areas and composes them to make a sequence of page areas,
a nested simple-page-sequence doesn't make a whole lot of sense (unless the
nested simple-page-sequence has a smaller page size...).

>result in 3 pages of output? I have been tying myself in knots with
>TeX trying to work out when to start a new page, and when to activate
>TeX's page setup.
>
>and I don't quite see why
>
>  (make simple-page-sequence
>	page-width: 297mm
>	page-height: 211mm
>	(make paragraph
>	      (literal "Second page.")))
>

>should *rotate* the page, as opposed to requesting a new paper size at
>that point.

Isn't a 297mmx211mm piece of paper the same size as a 211mmx297mm piece of
paper? (I guess with roll media, the answer is no, but that's a bit
sophisticated for RTF.)

As far the the standard goes what you get is a page area whose width is
297mm and whose height is 211mm.  How you image the areas on paper is up to you.

The RTF backend specifies the landscape orientation whenever the width is
greater than the height; it does this mainly because that was the way that
seemed to keep Word behaving reasonably.

James