Re: (dsssl) DSSSL Book

Subject: Re: (dsssl) DSSSL Book
From: "Pavel Tolkachev" <pavel.tolkachev@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:33:03 -0500
Hello Javier,

Wrt publishing books, accessible from the Web for free at the same time, Bruce Eckel, the author of many good books about programming, might be an expert. You might want to read this: http://www.mindview.net/Etc/FAQ.html
 which, by the way, has a link to a story of Philip Greenspun about approaching publishers or being approached by them, strange enough to deserve a separate reference here: http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/dead-trees/story.html

I just looked for Bruce's books at Amazon and found they were printed by Prentice Hall PTR. Most or all of them are available online at http://www.mindview.net/Books/books.html and from many other sites.

I would consider taking part in translation your book to Russian... as soon as someone else translates it to English.. :-) sorry, I do not know any Spanish :-(.

Hope this will help,
Pavel

                      "Markus Hoenicka"
                      <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka        To:       dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      .de>                              cc:
                      Sent by:                          Subject:  (dsssl) DSSSL Book
                      owner-dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      rrytech.com

                      02/04/2003 04:23 PM
                      Please respond to dssslist

Hi Javier,

first of all, I'd greatly appreciate a book about DSSSL. I remember
learning DSSSL from the standard wasn't exactly a smooth experience,
so any book about the topic would make it a lot more accessible to new
users.

Javier Farreres de la Morena writes:
 > Another question I have. I would like to find some publishing company interested
 > in the book. But this publishing company should accept having the full contents
 > of the book accessible on the web, appart from having the book published.
 > Perhaps someone of you can suggest me something on this matter.

Some companies do this kind of dead tree plus web publishing. Look at
O'Reilly (http://www.ora.com) and NewRiders
(http://www.newriders.com). I have never attempted to publish a book
with either of them (actually, I've never attempted to publish a book
at all...), but I know that at least O'Reilly is pretty picky about
the authors. If you're not a native speaker you lose unless you are
either extremely good or hire a native speaker as a co-author (who
would have to polish the language). I think you should still go ahead
and try simply because there's not much out there about DSSSL.

regards,
Markus