Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 21:05:01 -0000
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a NoENL publisher active in humanities I would like to reiterate on the
fact that we would need <sex> (or @sex or @gender) just as much or even more
than <persPronoun>: in languages like German and French, a heading like
Author's address must be differentiated for authors who identify with or
simply are of female gender (and I think the same would go for English if we
were to record movies instead of articles, with the Actor/Actress
distinction).
> Therefore, if anybody feels the need to amend the data model towards the
inclusion of <persPronoun>, please also consider the simple linguistic reality
in other languages than English;  A point I've also made during my appearances
in JATS Con 2016 and 2019. Now we work around this problem with @content-type
= 'female'.

> Pieter
> (NoENL is of course Not Only English Language, but everybody in this
audience got that, right?)
> On 11/12/2020 17:02, Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The request for a @gender attribute was made on the JATS form
on the NISO site. Here is the JATS Standing Committee's reply:

JATS Standing Committee Minutes

Request Denied: Add contributor @gender attribute

Two use cases were described as rationales for this request:

    - To describe the gender of a contributor in order to construct
      grammatically correct descriptions of the contributor roles,
      for use in sentences (e.g., female: codirectrice and
      male: codirecteur in French).

   -  To use this information to produce scientometric indicators
      based on authorbs gender.

Recommendation

    - Regarding the mechanics of making a grammatical sentence for
      production, we appreciate the requirement, but feel that JATS
      already contains a mechanism to do this: the <role>
      element. (See XML-tagged sample below.)

   -  Regarding the scientometric request: Collection of such data is
      out of scope for JATS.

XML Example

<contrib>
  <name>
    <surname>Bastin</surname>
    <given-names>Georges L.</given-names>
  </name>
  <role>codirecteur</role>
  </contrib>

<contrib>
  <name>
    <surname>St-Pierre</surname>
    <given-names>JosC)e</given-name>
  </name>
<role>codirectrice</role>
</contrib>

And, it seems to me (Debbie Lapeyre) that gender (biological) is
a very complicated issue. Even for grammar purposes, this is complex.

--Debbie Lapeyre

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron