Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "Pieter Lamers pieter.lamers@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 07:13:08 -0000
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for pulling the minutes from a similar request. /Out of scope /is
an easy answer of course. It just means that we will need to continue to
use a workaround for storing information needed to get to an accurate
presentation.

I know grammar and gender is not easy. That's why I need a flag rather
than a spell-out field. I need to calculate plural, masc/fem dependent
on the 'other' if there is more than one author, and forms in other
languages than the language the article was in.

I think it is a pity we have lengthy discussions about self-identified
gender and completely disregard biological gender as though it is some
kind of taboo. But that's probably me being Dutch.

Best
Pieter

On 13/12/2020 22:05, Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2020, at 1:00 AM, Pieter Lamers pieter.lamers@xxxxxxxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> As a NoENL publisher active in humanities I would like to reiterate on the fact that we would need <sex> (or @sex or @gender) just as much or even more than <persPronoun>: in languages like German and French, a heading like Author's address must be differentiated for authors who identify with or simply are of female gender (and I think the same would go for English if we were to record movies instead of articles, with the Actor/Actress distinction).
>> Therefore, if anybody feels the need to amend the data model towards the inclusion of <persPronoun>, please also consider the simple linguistic reality in other languages than English;  A point I've also made during my appearances in JATS Con 2016 and 2019. Now we work around this problem with @content-type = 'female'.
>>
>> Pieter
>> (NoENL is of course Not Only English Language, but everybody in this audience got that, right?)
>> On 11/12/2020 17:02, Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The request for a @gender attribute was made on the JATS form
> on the NISO site. Here is the JATS Standing Committee's reply:
>
> JATS Standing Committee Minutes
>
> Request Denied: Add contributor @gender attribute
>
> Two use cases were described as rationales for this request:
>
>      - To describe the gender of a contributor in order to construct
>        grammatically correct descriptions of the contributor roles,
>        for use in sentences (e.g., female: codirectrice and
>        male: codirecteur in French).
>
>     -  To use this information to produce scientometric indicators
>        based on authorbs gender.
>
> Recommendation
>
>      - Regarding the mechanics of making a grammatical sentence for
>        production, we appreciate the requirement, but feel that JATS
>        already contains a mechanism to do this: the <role>
>        element. (See XML-tagged sample below.)
>
>     -  Regarding the scientometric request: Collection of such data is
>        out of scope for JATS.
>
> XML Example
>
> <contrib>
>    <name>
>      <surname>Bastin</surname>
>      <given-names>Georges L.</given-names>
>    </name>
>    <role>codirecteur</role>
>    </contrib>
>
> <contrib>
>    <name>
>      <surname>St-Pierre</surname>
>      <given-names>JosC)e</given-name>
>    </name>
> <role>codirectrice</role>
> </contrib>

> And, it seems to me (Debbie Lapeyre) that gender (biological) is
> a very complicated issue. Even for grammar purposes, this is complex.
>
> --Debbie Lapeyre

> Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
> [...]

Pieter Lamers
John Benjamins Publishing Company
Postal Address: P.O. Box 36224, 1020 ME AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands
Visiting Address: Klaprozenweg 75G, 1033 NN AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands
Warehouse: Kelvinstraat 11-13, 1446 TK PURMEREND, The Netherlands
tel: +31 20 630 4747
web: www.benjamins.com