Re: [digital-copyright] Re: Reproducing visual art

Subject: Re: [digital-copyright] Re: Reproducing visual art
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:35:06 -0400
Another option is to locate a source offering affordable prints. Museum
stores, such as http://shop.thedali.org/browse.cfm/matted-prints/2,23.html for
example, offer prints. Section 109 entitles the owner to distribute them
freely, but at $12 and up, it may be more than the budget would allow.

John

On Apr 4, 2013, at 9:29 AM, "Sanfilippo, Sarah" <ssanfilippo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks to all the quick responses, I now know who holds the IP rights for
Dali works (the Spanish state) and who the US contact is for requesting
permission.

> I've had conflicting responses concerning Fair Use, but thanks so much to
everyone who's helped us out so far!

> Sarah
>
> Sarah K. Sanfilippo
> Director of Library Resources
> Southern Vermont College Library
> Bennington, VT 05201
> 802.447.6312
> svc.libguides.com/library
> www.facebook.com/SVCLibrary
> www.svc.edu
>
> Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to
think. Neil deGrasse Tyson

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Sanfilippo, Sarah <ssanfilippo@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> Working at a very small institution, I have limited copyright experience -
I really appreciate the discussions I read on this list! And so I'm hoping the
collective wisdom can help me with my question:

>> A faculty member who will speak at our end-of-the-year honors ceremony will
be referencing a Dali painting, and would like to distribute mini copies to
audience members in the programs. I assume this is something we need
permission to do, but am getting push back, so I'm asking for a second
opinion.

>> My question: is this something you need permission for? If so, how is that
done? How do you find the rights holder for a work of art? Where do you find a
copy you can reproduce?

>> My suggestion was to project it on the stage, but I'm not sure that's
possible in the venue being used.