Re: [stella] Cubis the text

Subject: Re: [stella] Cubis the text
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:45:10 +0100
>I tried both the NTSC and the Pal version on my NTSC system and the
>colors appeared to be EXACTLY the same.  The screen didn't roll either.
>I couldn't tell any difference between the two.

That is strange. When I tried the NTSC version on my system it lost the
colours, like other NTSC games do too. Maybe you have some sort of multisync
TV, that can cope with different numbers of lines?

What are the colours then? They are supposed to be blue for the bin, green
for the stones and white for the score. The next stone changes colours from
orange in level 0 to lightblue in level nine. On the emulator the NTSC version
had green for the bin and red for the stones. The next stone had sometimes
a wrong colour too.

>> push the stick forwart to start the game and to advance one level
>
>This is a BAD idea.  You should you the select switcch or the difficulty
>switches or something fo do this or at least only be able to do it
>before the start of the game.  I found myself accidentally bumping the
>joystick up and skipping to the next level.

You got a point here. I'll try to change it.

>> push backwarts to drop the stone
>
>Try making the stone drop a little slower like Nintendo's version of
>Tetris.

Whatfor? The stone isn't controlable after you pushed it down. I'm only
dropping it one line per frame, because the VCS isn't fast enough to do it
all in one frame. Maybe I'll take out my Gameboy and try copying Nintendo's
way to handle this.

>Making the pieces different colors would be a nice touch.  Some music
>would also be welcome. :-)  Otherwise it seems to be coming along very
>nicely.  Keep up the good work.

The VCS can't produce enough colours per line to do this.

I thought about some music too, but to implement it I would need a score
(the do re mi thing) for the VCS. I can't do one on my own, because I don't
know enough about the VCS audio system. Can someone please explain to me
what all this '5 bit poly' and 'div 2' stuff means? Or has someone allready
found out the values for a score, that I could use to create a tune?

Than you for the coments.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg
2stolber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx