[stella] PAL volunteer requested

Subject: [stella] PAL volunteer requested
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:08:16 -0700
I need someone from europe to volunteer to test the three PAL Survival
ISLAND Bin images and remastered WAV files for the stella reissue.

I remastered the wavs using makewav and making sure to increment the
multiload byte (00, 01, 02).  If I don't do that, all three loads will load
on a freshly powered up machine.  If I increment the multiload bytes, then
load two and three will refuse to load (which I assume is normal).  The
game would need to be played through to validate that the other two loads
will run as true multiloads.  I can't really do that with the screen
flipping as PAL games do.  Is there any other trick necessary in
remastering?  Do you need to know the load address??

Anyway, I'm pretty certain that these are okay, but I should double-check
before committing to them.

Please let me know in email.

Thanks,

It turns out that there is also a PAL version of the demo of Party Mix that
wasn't put as an audio track last time.  So with the inclusion of PAL
Survival Island and the PAL Party Mix demo, I believe this will be the
definitive archive of every bit of code Starpath generated, aside from the
starpath demo unit splash-screen code which has yet to be determined
whether it could be modified to run on a stock Supercharger.

Polo will be gone, but SoundX will be back.  We will also have Oystron, as
well as an unfinished tweak of Oystron that Piero was working on for me
called OystronX.  We came to the concensus privately that the existing
version of Oystron had struck the perfect balance of gameplay and depth vs.
filesize.  Piero's attempt to squeeze in more nuances in the gameplay and
more complexity wound up forcing him to tear out other parts of the code.
The only way it would have worked is if he had bumped himself up to 6K,
which he may try down the road, but I'm sure he'd probably rather write a
new game.

It's been a while.  I may need to go through my old Email to see what
documentation there is on the differences in gameplay between both
versions.  Piero, if you recall, please email me.

BTW, I believe Oystron is one of the games that will require the
Supercharger modification.

--Glenn