Re: [stella] Supercharger questions

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger questions
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:50:21 +0200
>I'm now trying to write some code which will detect whether or not
>the supercharger is running in regular or modified mode.  I hadn't
>seen code that does this but I thought it might be handy for testing
>the modification.
>
>At any rate, does this sound like a good methodology...?:

I'm not sure why you would want to test if the supercharger is modified
of not, but your method would probably work. But I think to make the
supercharger work with all games, the modification also has to turn of
the writing capability. So simply trying if you can write to the SC's RAM
might also do the trick.

>Also, are there any timing things to watch out for regarding bank
>switching or ram access?  I've been looking at Chris Salomon's
>doc, but i'm wondering if there is any code that does this kind of
>thing already...since it's not quite working

IIRC it's not so much about timing, but more about the number of ROM
accesses. A write will go to the fifth address that gets accessed after
an access to an address at $F0xx. Writes to $FFF8 will happen even if
the access to $F0xx was less than five cycles ago.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg