Re: [stella] missile vs. player copies

Subject: Re: [stella] missile vs. player copies
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:35:20 -0800
At 11:53 PM 2/7/2001 +0100, you wrote:
But i still do not understand how exactly they managed
to draw those extra large objects.

By manipulating the player width and horizontal position you can create the illusion of wider sprites.

In extreme cases, with the missiles as discussed, you can give the illusion that the missile objects are sprites, with some limitations to shape, of course. But with the players, you can get a wider variety of shapes.

For instance, by shearing or italicizing the sprite, you can stretch its total width. Stampede does this, doesn't it?

You can also do the six-char thing (Dragster) or the 4-char thing (Dragonstomper) which I assume you can contract down to a 2-Char thing as well (sprites set for double-one rewrite between). I don't know how much time would be left on those scanlines with a dynamic 2-char to do anything else vs. a 4 or 6 char.

For very large, mostly stationary or just vertically moving objects, you can use playfield. Take Cosmic Ark for instance, asteroids wave.

And you can use wide swaths of playfield as filler pixels and the sprites as finer detail, but that would be pretty limited too.

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/