Re: [stella] And now, something completely different... JAMMED v0.1

Subject: Re: [stella] And now, something completely different... JAMMED v0.1
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:38:10 +0100
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
> So, how big is your decompression routine. My code is a bit bigger than
> 1K, and if I replace my LoadLevel routine with yours, maybe I can fit
> about 1000 levels into my game.

At the moment my code (except decompressing) has about 1300 bytes.

The decompression needs about 540 bytes (including decompression and level pointer tables).
For 1000 levels, with 2.3 bits/strips you would need:
2.3*12*1000/8 + 540 = 3990 bytes. So I'd bet, even you can't put 1000 levels into 4k :)

> Well, if I were smart enough to understand your code, I could. ;-)

I'm sure, you are :)

> Yes, when you select a random level, the screen jumps. I think it
> would be better, if you'd dedicate a whole blank frame for the
> decompression. Then the screen would only flash, which is even
> less noticeable, since the level pattern would change.

I know, but I'm not sure how to handle this.

Now, I'm checking the switches at the beginning of overscan. I'm starting VBLANK at the beginning of the decompression. Then the decompression follows, which needs about half a frame/puzzle. After this, I'm simply continueing with my vertical sync routine.

The problem seems so be, that the VSYNC comes to late and/or some VSYNCs are missing, which I can't generate during decompression.

I did some minor changes for my next version, maybe that one is more stable. I'll send it to the list with an extra mail soon.
tjentzsch at web dot de |

Die Fachpresse ist sich einig: WEB.DE 18mal Testsieger! Kostenlos E-Mail,
Fax, SMS, Verschlüsselung, POP3, WAP....testen Sie uns! http://freemail.web.de

-