Re: [stella] Stella projects I wished to be finished...

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella projects I wished to be finished...
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:10:14 -0230
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 04:22:43PM -0400, B. Watson wrote:
> What `license' is source code under, if it's posted to the list without
> an explicit license notice? My guess is `public domain'...

Copyright is retained by the authors even if they don't explicitly
mention it, in Canada and the US, at least. You have to explicitly
declare it public domain for it to become public domain.

Which ultimately means the ``ask permission from the author for
anything'' license, I suppose.

> But then part of what I like about 2600 programming is avoiding the whole
> formal licensing mess you get when writing GPL'd or proprietary code. Some
> people get really anal-retentive about it (read slashdot sometime)

There is a great deal of zealotry over copyright issues, mostly because
many people don't understand them at all. I would personally suggest
a good license, but I would rather not see this discussion degenerate
into licensing issues. (However, I would add that use of the GPL will
bite a lot of people later, so beware.)

Licensing is important, even if you hate the pedantry that occurs...
so declare your code in the public domain if you want it to be _really_
free, but understand what that implies!

--
  -/
 |/|  Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>