Re: [stella] Skeleton - complete

Subject: Re: [stella] Skeleton - complete
From: "Eric Ball" <eball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:05:25 -0400
"Carlos Lopez" <carlosflr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just played your game and let me tell you that it's very impressive!!!
Thanks, I'm soaking up all the admiration.

> I think you should consider on selling it.
There seems to be a demand for actual cartridges.  I am seriously
considering this, but first I want to finish the PAL version, see if anyone
finds any bugs, and maybe add some minor enhancements.

> I have a little inquire. I don't know how difficult would be to add a
secret
> map on a specific wall of the maze. When the player finds a wall with
some
> mark (I'm sure it would be very difficult to draw the map on the wall)
the
> player can press the fire button, and as long as it keeps it pressed, the
> entire screen is replaced by a simple 2D top view of the maze, showing
the
> position of the player (and maybe the skeleton).

Damn difficult.  First, my kernel is very tight from a time perspective.
In a couple of spots I don't have any spare cycles to add additional
graphics to the screen.  Second, the maze isn't "normal", you can wrap from
top to bottom & side to side.  So a display of the maze would be difficult
to interpret.  Third, I don't have a lot of space left in the 4K ROM,
particularly in the PAL version.  The title & end screens ate up the space
I wanted to use for title screen music.  I doubt there is enough space left
for a maze display routine.  Finally, programming the TIA to produce a
16x16 display would be very difficult.  I'd have to convert the maze bits,
which are spread across bytes into playfield bytes.  If I had the ROM
space, I could hard code it, but I don't.

> In my opinion, adding secret tricks like this would make the game a
really big hit!!!!

In the age of the Internet, secrets tend not to stay secret very long.  The
game already has some inherent "secrets" in the form of the maze, how the
skeletons move, and how damage is done.  I'll stick with what I have for
the moment.