Re: [stella] latest Star Fire

Subject: Re: [stella] latest Star Fire
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:19:25 -0400
>I think what happened here was that I overlooked some
>"Branch out of reach" myself this time. (Damn DASM, why
>does it compile a working 4K in this case!) I wonder why
>it works on the emulators though. Maybe their "Branch
>out of reach" is one byte more tolerant than a real
>6507?!?

Heh, you know what bugs me about DASM? That DASM doesn't mind assembling this:

ZeroPageVariable   EQU $80

  lda ZeroPageVariable,y

This should be an illegal address mode error! Instead it assumes:

  lda $0080,y

This was one my biggest "gotchas" switching over from a CPU like 6809 where x and y are much more interchangeable. At least when I'd drop in a memonic like CMPX or ADDA I'd get an error but DASM is more than happy to assemble illegal zeropage,y as absolute,y commands.

Grumble, grumble.

Otherwise I'm having a great day though!

Chris...