Re: [stella] Experimental Text Screen

Subject: Re: [stella] Experimental Text Screen
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:17:22 +1100
The depth my system can do is actually only a function of available RAM...
it takes 12 bytes per text line.  If you have a single line at a time, then
you need to reload those 12 bytes with appropriate pointers for the next
line - and reposition the sprites, etc., which gives about (say) 5 scanlines
inbetween each text line.  You can, however, pre-load multiple lines (the
current sprite system does 6 lines) for a total of 6*12 = 70 bytes of RAM.
So you could do your text as two groups of 6-lines each, but with a much
larger gap between them, as you need to recalculate 70 bytes between -
probably 20 scanlines or so.
Currently each text line is 16 scanlines deep.  This is adjustable.  Assume
8 is all that is needed, and that we can redo the RAM pointer loads in 5
scanlines, then that's 13 scanlines/row... so I don't see any major obstacle
to having a 20-line display.
So, 18*20 with minimal RAM usage... yeah, I can do that.
Anyone who decides to work on (or collaborate on) an Adventure game...  I'll
provide my code and utilities as required.
Cheers