Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!

Subject: Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:42:58 -0400
>So, what do you think?

I think it looks a lot like "Mortal Kurling" except not as smooth (meow!)

>a game like this helicopter Jave applet where you only have to press a  button to control the height

I believe this is the one you're talking about, or at leat similar (spaceship not helicopter):

http://bressler.org/bits/playmore.swf

>Any even better ideas?

What else can you put on screen? The implication from your ideas is that you can at least put one player sprite. What about more? Can sprites co-exist with the "caves" or just in the "empty" middle of the screen ("Mortal Kurling" has that problem, not a lot of cycles left during the cave walls to put anythign but the player's ship on any scanlines with the scroller).

Can the scroll go even faster? Can it be bi-directional?

- A racing type game, with no brakes, only the accelerator (scroll only goes fast or faster or even faster...). Maybe a runaway train? Stagecoach? Yeah, about about a runaway train and do something like in Nibbler where the train gets longer and longer so when you move up/down your "tail" takes a little longer to react and move in line. You could make the "engine" out of a sprite, but the rest of the train from PF since they don't need to move as smoothly (maybe). Or, you make the train out of a 48 pixel wide sprite, it could be very flexible and probably long enough. If you can restrict the obstacles to M0/M1/Ball objects. A little tricky to squeezed said obstacles on a line with a 48 pixel wide sprite, but possible...

- Or a running game, say Lola Rennt, the video game. You're always running foreward, to whatever goal (or being chased) so you can't slow down. Only dodge (jump over? Say a top-dow view?) obstacles. Sorta a horizontal Journey Escape (heh, heh).

- Laser Gates 2003

- A full on, side scrolling shooter with power-ups, bosses, etc (like "Mortal Kurling" is eventually intended to be). I don't think the scroll speed is really an impediment to this). Manic is not a bad thing....

Chris...