Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!

Subject: Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:34:16 +0200
Rob wrote:
> A helicopter will have inertia because it has mass.  All things with mass
> have inertia.

That's for sure! When you hit a wall you will know. :-)

> As I understand helicopters, the rotor blade spins at a constant speed
> during flight.   the pilot uses a control called the collector to
> control the amount of lift generated.  The collecter changes the angle
> of attack of the rotor blades to the air.  When they are horizontal,
> there is minimal lift.   At some angle (45?) you get maximum lift.

So you mean there should be no additional inertia then? Ok, not from
accelerating the blades (clever concept, never thought about that). But
doesn't the engine (turbine) need to increase its power when the angle
is changed to lift the helicopter? And then we would have the inertia
again, wouldn't we?

> The turning of the helicopter is controlled by the rear rotor blade
> which speeds up or slows down to turn the helicopter.  The pilot tilts the
> entire main rotor assembly to put a portion of the lift thrust into forward
> or backward motion.

Fortunately my helicopter will live in a 2D world. :-)

> Of course some helicopters have small wings that create lift when the
> helicopter is moving forward, and some have extra jet thrust to move
> forward faster, but that's just extra optional stuff.

I think the blades also should work more effective when the helicopter
moves faster. There are a few helicopters that can fly loopings and AFAIK
some do that without wings. And they always seem to do that at high
speed, so speed must have some influence on the lifting rate.

Correct me, if I am wrong.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |