Re: [stella] he got game

Subject: Re: [stella] he got game
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 1 Sep 2003 22:19:25 -0000
> A great start - and now you get to go through the famous #stella gameplay
> optimisation process :)

Well, with the possible exception of making a stripped down version
for the 1K contest (I think I have more of a chance at 1K than 4K ;-)
I'm not looking for *too* many optimisations, yet--my game play is
so simple that I seem to be doing ok for time and space.

On the other hand, gameplay enhancements, including a talk about the
"physics" and the difficulty, I'm all ears for, and that's what you
were talking about, so...

> I currently find it almost completely uncontrollable - movement is way too
> rapid.  I'm playing with Z26.  I'd like to see gravity about half of what it
> is now (or less!) and have much less powerful flaps (about 1/10th!).  I'd
> really like to have to pump that button like crazy to overcome a freefall,
> but yet have long enough to really do it.

Is it really that tough?

I dunno if I've been playing too long.  Right now it's a really
good difficult for me...I can get a win, but I have to stay on
my toes.  I wouldn't want it to be too beatable (or boring, where
the person has to wait too long for the damn ball to come back)

Plus, pressing the flap button *that* much? Seems like it might
hurt!

I might consider this kind of tweak, but it's really tough.
Right now I'm using a 2 line kernal, so I don't have quite as
much fine tuning in the vert speed dept.  Plus the way I'm doing gravity
is a little odd...every X frames, it adds 1 to the downward speed.
If X is too big, then you get a (not comic and funny, alas) Loony
Tunes-like delay where the pong bat just hangs there, until it
notices it's not standing on anything, and then gravity kicks in.

For horizontal ball speed, it's at it's slowest, 1 thingy per frame.
I think the only still smooth-looking option I would have would be
to do a HMOVE every other frame, reducing speed by half, which seems
like it might be too slow?

How do people feel about making the vertical speed of the ball
more complex? Like I said (or, blogged), I'm surprised it works
as well as it does now...it has one vertical speed, and its opposite,
but it's still pretty complex feeling. I started my usual trick
of having the postbounce vertical speed being the prebounce ball
speed plus the bat speed, but I'll need to put in a speed limiter,
it was going crazy.

thanks for the feedback,
Kirk

  BAR JOKE #11 A man walks into a bar. He has a few drinks and chats with the
  bartender. Later that night, he goes home and reflects on the poor decisons
  he's made in life.