Re: [stella] RPG progress

Subject: Re: [stella] RPG progress
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:27:28 -0600

Have you calculated how much time (worst case) you need in total for
scrolling and generating a new line?

No, but a rough guess would be around 100-120 scanlines. I'll test it and see.

There are many more places in the code, where this EOR trick can be
used. And if you have enough space (256 bytes) you could replace 4xLSR
with a large table and *maybe* save one blank line between the tiles.

That's a good trick. Thanks for the tip.

How about generating the new line into an invisible buffer first and
then scroll and copy within one frame?

I don't see any way to do that without setting aside more temp RAM. Once the game is a lot farther along, if it looks like I can spare a few bytes I'll do that. That would definitely be the easiest solution.

BTW: Why are you using BCD during map generation? Any clever trick I
am missing?

Your location on the map is stored in BCD since map cells are 10x10.

-paul