RE: [stella] Poll: What is everybody working on?

Subject: RE: [stella] Poll: What is everybody working on?
From: "Dennis Debro" <debrodennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:30:52 -0400
Hi there,

I'm still working on disassembling different games for the archives.
Currently on my radar are:

Kaboom
Keystone Kapers
Pac-man

with possibly doing...
Air-Sea Battle
Canyon Bomber
Breakout

Kaboom seems to be going well but I'm kind of stuck on the paddle movement
right now. I have some theories on what's going on but I won't know for sure
until I make test builds and play it on my VCS.

Pac-man is going okay too but I need to get use to Tod's coding style. He
has a lot of jmps in his code.

I had looked at doing Ms.Pac-man but every time I look at it and I see code
like this...
LD17F: LDA    #$C0    ;2
       STA    $ED     ;3
       LDX    $EE+256   ;4
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
       DEX            ;2
       BEQ    LD1AF   ;2
LD1AF: STA    RESP1   ;3

I get discouraged.

I have also been spending my time learning the variable flicker trick. This
didn't take long to understand so to prove to myself that I understand it
I've been working on writing Pac-man for the VCS.

It has been proven that a better Pac-man could be done in 4K by Ebivision.
My goal is to make a better Pac-man than that :-) I've been having
conversations with Eduardo Mello about this. He's doing an awesome job of
Pac-man for the CV. I'll try to use his findings in ghost behavior to see if
I could come up with a close rendition of this for the VCS. Of course I feel
that once the kernel gets done, it's all down hill from there.

I've also been inspired by Andrew Davie to do an original game. I don't know
if it will be for the VCS but for right now that's the target. I don't want
to go into too much detail though as I'm still feeling it out.

Take care,
Dennis