RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:35:26 -0400
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> Frying is the holy-grail of 2600 emulation.  If you get this working it will be a huge event.

Well, we're going to add the code to Stella, along with a big "Thank you"
to Fred Quimby in the documentation. The next alpha should have it, even.

> But what you really need to do is be able to load up a particular frying scenario for a game so you don't have to actually fiddle with the frying to get certain well known scenarios like double-shots in Space Invaders.
> If the fry files were stored in a matching subdirectory then when you load the game, the Stella GUI could present a dropdown of fry versions of the game.

We already have state-save and -load, with a GUI file selector. I don't
see any need for a separate "fried state" menu: you'd just stick your
fried-state files in the statefile directory like any other state file.

State files don't contain the ROMs (just the MD5 sum of the ROM),
so they're perfectly legal to post to the list, share on Kazaa, or
whatever else. We could include a few in the Stella distribution, but
probably not a lot of them. There could be a separate package that's a
huge collection of state files, if anyone's willing to create them...

> Someone would have to virtually fry on Stella and when they eyeball that the game is in a well-known frying state, save off the state.  It will be really amazing to know once and for all which conditions in memory are the trigger for these special effects and to be able to step through the code and understand why it works that way.  It would also be possible now to create fry-proof homebrews (if that is desires).

When ready to save the state, you'd be able to name it anything you like,
including "invaders_fried.sta". The only thing special about it would
be the filename.

--
B.