Re: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:43:52 -0400
On Jun 27, 2005, at 3:32 PM, B. Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Adam Thornton wrote:
>

>> I always thought frying was dependent on having RAM come up in an
>> unpredictable state, and that therefore it wasn't replicable, except
>> via lots and lots of power-switch-twiddling.
>>

> Fred's frying code calls rand() a lot, which makes it more-or-less
> unpredictable.
>
> But once it produces a "fried" effect, we can save the state of the
> emulator. At that point, loading that state file will produce the same
> fried state. If we're able to reproduce one of the classic frying
> effects,
> we'll be able to use the debugger to understand what causes it.

OK, fair enough.  Let me rephrase my question:

That's what I've always understood "frying" to be.

But can you really call the Space Invaders two-shot behavior a
"frying" behavior, since it does not depend on the state of the RAM,
but only on the fact that Reset is held down while power is engaged,
and it's completely repeatable and consistent?  (It would also be
really cool if Stella tracked the state of Select and Reset when you
turn on the (virtual) power, if it doesn't already.)

Adam