Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:33:41 -0500 (EST)
> I'm not sure, if the flicker wouldn't be to annoying with objects
> that big, but it might be worth a try.
>
> But even if you use the same character for both players and
> turn the display routine into a double scanline one, you
> will need a lot of ROM for the animations. And of course
> drawing and calculating all those animation frames will be
> a lot of work.

ROM space is pretty much the only concern.  Calculating which frame to use
is pretty simple, as long as all the frames are stored in ROM.

> It might work with the Tigervision bankswitching method.
> Use 2kb for the code and switch in the graphics into the
> other 2kb. PCAE supports it up to 32kb, which might not
> be enough for the full game, but enough to demonstrate,
> that it works in theory.

Hmm, math time. Mortal Kombat I for the PC was about 8 megabytes on disk,
of which about 6 was character graphics.  The game had eight distinct
characters (not counting palette-swaps), so it took about 750k per
character.  The average character frame is approximately 100 pixels high
by 80 pixels wide, at one byte per pixel; for about 8k per frame.  750k/8k
means there's about 94 frames stored per charact, which sounds about
right (approx 10 moves for each character, each with 10 frames.)  On
the 2600, at double-scanline res, a single character frame would be 6
bytes wide by about 50 bytes tall = 300 bytes/frame.  To get the detail
level of MK1 on the 2600 (in monochrome, though), you'd need 300*94 =
28200 bytes per character.   It'd be doable with one character, or two
with fewer stored frames, in 32k.  Any more than two characters would
require more ROM space.  Chris Wilkson's 128k megacart could hold four
fully-detailed or eight lesser-detailed characters, the latter equivalent
to MK1.